Half yearly Exam-2018_Class 8_English-107_Jagoroni M. L Girls' High School_ Newashi, Nageswari, Kurigram
Jagoroni M. L Girls’ High School, Newashi
Half Yearly Exam- 2018
Subject: English Subject code: 107
[Figure in the right margin indicate full marks]
Time: 3 hours Full marks: 100
A: Seen part
Read the text and answer questions 1 and 2.
Bangladeshi cuisine is rich and varied with the use of many spices. We have delicious and appetizing food, snacks and sweets.
Boiled rice is our staple food. It is served with a variety of vegetables, curry, lentil soup, fish and meat. Fish is our main source of protein. Fishes are now cultivated in ponds. Also we have freshwater fishes in the lakes and rivers. More than 40 types of fishes are common. Some of them are carp, rui, katla, magur (catfish), chingri (prawn or shrimp). Shutki or dried fishes are popular. Hilsha is very popular among the people of Bangladesh.
Panta-ilish is a traditional platter of Panta bhat. It is steamed rice soaked in water and served with a fried hilsha slice, often together with dried fish, pickles, lentil soup, green chilies and onion. It is a popular dish on the Pohela Boishakh.
The people of Bangladesh are very fond of sweets. Almost all Bangladeshi women prepare some traditional sweets. Pitha, a type of sweets made from rice flour, sugar, syrup, molasses and sometimes milk, is a traditional food loved by the entire population. During winter Pitha Utsab, meaning pitha festival, is organized by different groups of people.
Sweets are distributed among close relatives when there is good news like births, weddings, promotions, etc.
Sweets of Bangladesh are mostly milk-based. The common ones are roshgolla, sandesh, rasamalai, gulap jamun and cham-cham. There are hundreds of different varieties of sweet preparations. Sweets are therefore an important part of the day-to-day life of Bangladeshi people.
1. Choose the correct answer to each question from the alternatives given and write the corresponding number of the answers in your answer script. 1x7=7
i) The word ‘cuisine’ in line 1 of the text means- a) a style of cooking b) a special kind of food c) cooking spicy dishes d) a combination of different dishes
ii) The words ‘appetizing food’ in line 1 of the text mean- a) expensive food b) food that makes you feel hungry c) food that is cooked with spices d) food that has good nutritional value
iii) The word ‘platter’ in line 8 of the text means- a) a large plate to serve food b) a meal served on a large plate c) a dish with a variety of food items on it d) all of the above
iv) The main source of protein for Bangladeshi people is- a) boiled rice b) lentil soup c) fish d) meat
v) Panta bhat is usually served with- a) dried fish b) green chili and onion c) hilsha d) all of the above
vi) Panta-ilish is eaten with much festivity a) throughout the year b) to the wedding guests c) on a special day d) in winter
vii) A popular food item in winter is a) lentil soup b) pitha c) panta bhat d) dried fish
2. Answer the following questions from your reading of the above text. 2x4 = 8 a) Name four fresh water fishes. b) How is panta bhat prepared? c) Name four milk-based sweets. d) Where are most of the fish cultivated?
3. Read the following text and fill in the gaps with contextually appropriate words 1X5=5
River gypsies are an ethnic group of people in Bangladesh. They are known as beday to (a) ______ people. The (b) _____ have their own lifestyle and (c) ____ They live in groups and do not (d) _____ any land. Therefore, they live a nomadic life, (e) ___ from one place to another.
B: Unseen part
Read the following text and answer questions 4 and 5.
Meera is a singer with a great zeal for folk songs. She is a dancer too. She enjoys dancing with folk songs. She performs at national events and also represents our culture in different countries. Besides singing she also studies Computer Science in a university in China. Manosh and Rudro are also two promising folk singers of our time. Manosh passed the S.S.C examination in 2018 when Rudro was a student of class eight. Manosh won the Star Voice Singing competition in 2012 in the folk song category. Rudro won that award in 2015 in the same category. He performed in the Boishakhi open concert at Dhaka University campus in 2016. Both Manosh and Rudro love folk songs because it appeals to our root culture. They believe that folk music can reach the heart of our common people easily. In 2018 Manosh successfully released his first album titled ‘Mon Janala’.
4. Complete the table below. Write no more than three words and/or numbers for each answer. 1X5=5
Who? What? When/where?
Meera studies Computer Science in a university in (1) …………………
Meera (2) …………………… in foreign countries
(3) ……………… was awarded Star Voice Singing competition in 2012
Rudro appeared in the Boisakhi concert at (4) ………………………….... in 2016
Manosh released his maiden album (5) ………………….
5. Read the passage again and write, whether the statements are true or false. Give correct answers, if the statement is false, write the correct answer: 1x5=5
a) Meera enjoys singing folk songs. b) Meera performs at both national and international levels. c) Manosh and Rudro won two different awards. d) The first album of Manosh was released in the same year when he passed the S.S.C. examination. e) The common people of our country love folk songs.
6. Read the text below and fill-in the gaps using the clues given in the boxes. There are more words than necessary. One, word, can, be used, once, only, the, off, as, namely, this, finances length cost country width roads touch ½ X10=5
The Padma Multipurpose Bridge is a mega project in the construction history of Bangladesh. This will connect three districts (a) _____, Munshiganj, Shariatpur and Madaripur. With (b) _____ connectivity 21 districts of (c) _____ south-western part of the (d) _____ will come under direct (e) _____ with the capital as well (f) _____ the whole country. It’s total (g) _________ is 6.15 kms. and (h) ____ is 18.1 meters. It will (i) _____3.6 billion USD. Bangladesh government (j) _____ this huge project.
7. Read the text below and fill in the gaps using suitable words to make it a meaningful text. 1x5=5
The sun is the source of all energies. All the living beings (a) _________ sunlight directly or indirectly for their (b) __________ on this earth. Sunlight (c) _________ white as we see it with our naked eyes but the actual (d) _____________ of sunlight is green. Now, we are going to explain why sunlight looks white (e) __________ it is originally green.
8. Match the part of sentences from columns A and B to make five complete sentences. 1x5=5
Column A Column B
a. One day a fisherman i. to see the coins as the fisherman returned home
b. Suddenly he saw ii. began to boast of it before all the friends
c. His wife was very happy iii. a bag full of gold coins in his net
d. The fisherman asked his wife to keep iv. cast his net in the river
e. But instead of doing so she v. the find of gold coins a secret
C: Grammar part
9. Read the text below and fill in the gaps with the root words in the brackets adding suitable suffix, prefix or both. ½ x10=5 Visa, the global payment solutions (a) __________ (provide) will introduce (b) __________(contact) cards in Bangladesh this year. These cards do not have (c) __________(paid) system and allow customers to make (d) __________(pay) simply by waving the card near the point of sales machine. It needs no (e) __________ (insert) of the card into the machine. The cards provide customers with improved and (f) __________(speed) transaction. It will be (g) __________(fast) and offer increased protection from card fraud than (h) __________(tradition) cards. Such payment solution will add (i) __________(secure) to card service (j) ______(significant).
10. Fill in the gaps of the following text with appropriate articles (a, an or the). Put a cross (x) for zero article. ½ x10=5 (a)______ violent storm hit Netrokona district last week. The storm blew at (b)_____ speed of 150 km per hour. It hit 12 villages and demolished almost all (c)______ houses of those villages. It caused (d)______ severe damage. All (e)_____ the electric poles were blew up and as a result there was a power-cut. People had to remain in darkness for over (f)______ week. It was (g)______ unbearable situation for them. (h)_____ poor suffered (i)_______ lot. It was really (j)_______ terrible storm.
11. Change the following sentences as directed in the brackets. 1x5=5 (a) Dhaka was founded by the Mughals in the 17th century. (Make it an active sentence). (b) The Mughals governed the region during the early modern period. (Make it an interrogative sentence). (c) The Mughals constructed many buildings here. (Make it a passive sentence). (d) Ahsan Manjil is one of the attractive buildings. (Make it an exclamatory sentence). (e) Nila is yet to visit Dhaka (make it a negative sentence in terms of sentence construction).
12. Rewrite the following passage changing the form of speech: 5
Sakina said to Himel, “How are you? I went to your house yesterday but you were not there.” “I went to a shop,” said Himel, “I had to buy some dresses for my sister.”
13. Use capital letters and punctuation marks as needed in the following passage. .5X10=5
daniel defoe the writer of robinson crusoe was born in london in 1660 defoe started to write when he was a young man the idea for writing the great story came from the story of alexander selkirk when he was at the age of 59
D: Composition Part
14. Write a dialogue between you and your friend about the importance of learning English. 10
15. Write a paragraph on “Load Shedding” answering the following questions: 10
a) What is load shedding? b) What are the causes of load shedding?
c) Where does load shedding occur? d) What are the effect of load shedding?
e) What steps should we take to check it?
16. Suppose, you are Salma. You have a friend named Shaila. Now, write an e-mail to her about your preparation for the ensuing JSC Examination. 10
সেরা কনটেন্ট নির্মাতা
অভিনন্দন! আপনি মানসম্মত কনটেন্ট তৈরি করেছেন। সেরা রেটিং পেয়েছেন।
সেরা কনটেন্ট নির্মাতা
অভিনন্দন! আপনি মানসম্মত কনটেন্ট তৈরি করেছেন। সেরা রেটিং পেয়েছেন।
অভিনন্দন! আপনার উদ্ভাবনী গল্প মানসম্মত হয়েছে। আপনি সেরা উদ্ভাবক হয়েছেন।